- President: Linda Derfiny
- Co-Vice Presidents: Alberta Cumming, Chris Simon
- Secretary: Ann Miczulski
- Treasurer: Mary Tetreau
- Council Representative/Director: Connie Micklin
- Sunshine/Membership: Betty Anne Geib
- Parliamentarian: Patti Oakland
- Council House Grounds Chair: Gale Rhoads
- Historian: Margaret McAllister
- Environmental Concerns: Beth Shirley
- Horticulture: Ellen Plano
- Wildflowers: Gale Rhoads
- Birds: Mary Bulson
- Park Place Living: Ann Houser
- Greens Sale Rep: Jill Toma
- Website: Janey Lutzka
- Yearbook Preparation: Kathy Neal, Patti Oakland
- Proofreading: Linda Derfiny
The object of the club is to stimulate interest in horticultural and environmental concerns.
Meetings are the third Thursday of each month, at 11:45
Fiscal Year: June to May
Organized in 1962, federated in 1963
- Park Place Assisted Living – provide and participate in flower arranging and programs with residents, monthly October through April
- Park Place Assisted Living – donate planters for patios and entryways
- Garden Council Greens Sale – create arrangements and projects for sale, and work at sale
- Once a year, make approximately 50-60 small flower arrangements to be donated to a local nursing care home
- Winnie’s Wildflowers Memorial Garden
- Pretty Lake Vacation Camp – Farm Project
- Michigan Garden Clubs – Scholarships
- Kalamazoo Valley River Trail
- Southwest Michigan Land Conservancy
Club Meetings and Programs, 2019-20
All meetings begin at 11:45, unless otherwise noted.
July 18, 2019
Garden walk, gardens of Patti Oakland and Pat Wilcox
Lunch at Theo and Stacy’s
August 15, 2019
Make floral arrangements for nursing home
Location: Shirley Mitchell’s home. Bring a sack lunch. Co-hostesses Kathy Neal and Janey Lutzka will provide drinks and dessert.
September 19, 2019
Location: Home of Linda Derfiny. A presentation on the history and nature lore of Kleinstuck Preserve by Erin Fuller, member of Stewards of Kleinstuck. A nature walk led by Erin will follow for those who wish to walk the trails in the preserve, located 1.4 miles from Linda’s home. Co-hostesses Marilyn Brill, Ellen Plano and Gale Rhoads will provide lunch.
October 17, 2019
District III Meeting in Sawyer, Mi. Location: Trinity Lutheran School. Breakfast and lunch included. Meet and carpool from a place TBA.
December 3, 2019 (Tuesday)
Greens Sale preparation. Location: County Expo Center. Help set up for Greens Sale.
December 4, 2019 (Wednesday), 10:30 am.
Location: County Expo Center. Make Christmas mug arrangements. Bring sack lunch, as well as lots of greens, gloves, and pruners.
December 5, 6, 7
Greens Sale at County Expo Center
December 11, 2019, 11:30 am
Annual Christmas luncheon. Location: Fieldstone Grill, 3970 West Center Ave., Portage. Gather to visit, then order lunch at noon. Co-hostesses Dianne Herpolsheimer and Mary Tetreau will provide favors.
January 16, 2020 (February 20 alternate date)
Members will share ideas for next year and of favorite plants. Location: Patti Oakland’s home. Co-hostesses Margaret McAllister, Pat Wilcox, and Connie Micklin will provide lunch.
March 19, 2020
Location: Nature Center, 6000 N. Westnedge. Speaker and optional nature walk. Bring a sack lunch. Co-hostesses Ann Houser and Mary Bulson will provide drinks and dessert.
April 19, 2020
Location: Wedel’s Garden Center. Program and speaker TBA. Co-hostesses Betty Anne Geib, Mary Norris, Beth Shirley, and Norma Sylvester will provide lunch. Election of officers during business meeting.
May 15, 2020.
Annual salad luncheon. Location: Gale Rhodes’ home. Installation of officers and plant swap. Co-hostesses Jill Toma and Carolyn Mann will provide drinks and dessert.
June 20, 2020
Location: Shades of Lavender Farm, Mattawan, Mi. U pick lavender and demonstration of how lavender products are made with lavender harvested at the farm. Lunch TBA
Grow and Show was organized in 1962 by our first presidents, Pat Paul and Marilyn Arnott, with the guidance of Amy VandeGeisen. Among us we have one charter member, three honorary members, and our club has bestowed Life Memberships on seven members. Grow and Show has participated in many Kalamazoo Garden Council related activities over the years and we take pride in the contributions we have made to our community. We have participated in and been recognized for numerous activities since 1962. In 2019 we were awarded the Gold Club of Distinction and two MGC Presidents Awards of Excellence; one for 10% Growth in Membership and another for Largest Membership Increase within District III.