Scholarhips and Awards
NATURE CENTER DAY CAMP SCHOLARSHIP
Funds are provided by Kalamazoo Garden Council, Inc. to enable area youth to participate in various programs or camps at the Kalamazoo Nature Center.
NATIONAL GARDEN CLUBS, INC. SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIPS
Scholarships are available to first time attendees for each of the schools in the amount of $50.00. The NGC, Inc. Schools include: Environmental, Flower Show, Garden Study and Landscape Design. Please submit your scholarship request in writing to the Awards/Scholarship Chair for consideration. Applicants must indicate intent to complete the course and take the exam for accreditation, and must not have previously received a scholarship for the same school. The four winners are awarded at the Annual Meeting.
HAZEL WIRICK SCHOLARSHIP
The Hazel Wirick Scholarship is awarded to a student attending a local college in the field of botany, biology, environmental studies or other related subjects. Further donations for the scholarship may be sent to the President of the Foundation of the Michigan Garden Clubs, Inc.
LOUISE ADAMS CIVIC BEAUTIFICATION AWARD
($200 Matching-Funds Awards)
Kalamazoo Garden Council, Inc. encourages its member garden clubs to be actively involved in civic beautification projects. It has established an awards or grant program to financially assist garden clubs in beautifying and maintaining a specific site within the community. This award money may be used to help offset the cost of plant material (flowers, shrubs, trees, bulbs, groundcover), mulch, stone, edging or other materials used in landscaping, garden beds, or in container gardening. It may also be used for equipment necessary in maintaining the area, such as hoses, stakes, labels, signs, etc.
- Each garden club that is a member of the Kalamazoo Garden Council, Inc. is eligible to receive an annual matching-funds award up to $200 maximum for an approved civic beautification project.
- An application form must be completed and submitted to the Awards Chair by May 1 of the current year.
- Upon approval by the Awards Chair and a representative from the Finance Committee, participating clubs will each receive funds equal to one-half of the total projected expenditure UP TO A MAXIMUM OF $200 from the Kalamazoo Garden Council, Inc.
- Original receipts for all expenses along with any unused KGC funds must be submitted to the Awards Chair by October 1.
- If your project cost is more than you estimated, and you originally requested less than the maximum of $200, please submit receipts and documentation of the additional expenses and you will be reimbursed up to the above mentioned maximum.
- If there are any questions regarding these guidelines or the application, please contact Brenda Carl.