Advantages of KGC Membership
1. Scholarships are available for first time member attendees that attend and pass a course in one of the four NGC Schools: Flower Show School, Landscape Design School, Environmental Studies School and
Gardening Study School.
2. Louise Adams Civic Beautification Awards of up to $200 in matching funds for club civic beautification projects
3. A Miriam Arend scholarship for full or partial reimbursement for club members attending the Annual MGC convention
4. Flower arranging classes each year.
5. Participation in a standard flower show
6. A library of over 3,000 books and videos on gardening topics
7. An annual directory of its members
8. Publication for KGC members, The Garden Post
9. Use of the Council House meeting rooms, fully equipped kitchen and work rooms at no charge
10. A Garden Shop for members to obtain supplies at reduced prices.
11. Web sites – information on activities and classes
are on the Michigan Gardening page
12. Educational workshops and programs
13. Trips to various points of interest
14. A percentage of the Greens Sale Profit shared equally with all Clubs
15. Publicity promoting garden club membership
16. Invitations to programs and field trips of other member clubs
17. Special programs with expert guest speakers
18. Council support for individual club projects
19. Financial benefits of KGC 501c_3 tax status and availability of liability insurance for club activities.
ADVANTAGES OF FEDERATED MEMBERSHIP:
The advantages of a federated membership which includes membership in the National Garden Council, Inc., Central Region and Michigan Garden Clubs, Inc. are explored on the Michigan Garden Clubs, Inc. website. Click on the link to see why our Kalamazoo Garden Council belongs to these organizations.
The Kalamazoo Garden Council, Inc. consists of members of nine garden clubs in the Greater Kalamazoo Area, whose aim is to promote the objectives of KGC and the Michigan Garden Clubs, Inc. For assistance in finding out how to become a potential new member, please contact the Membership Chair at Contact Membership Chair. She will provide information about the Kalamazoo Garden Council and various garden clubs. You will find additional information about our nine garden clubs on this site.
Information regarding new club members, resignations, changes or corrections in names, addresses, telephone, or email during the year, should be forwarded to both the KGC Database Manager, Bunny LaDuke at email: email@example.com and the Information Technologist, Kathy Kienle, firstname.lastname@example.org.
KALAMAZOO GARDEN COUNCIL BUSINESS MEETINGS:
Meetings are held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month except December and February. The Greens Sale wrap-up meeting is held in January. The KGC Annual Meeting is held the second Tuesday in June, during which time the incoming officers are installed. All club members are invited and urged to attend any or all Council meetings. Voting is restricted to officers and directors
Council dues of $5.00 per member are payable June 1 and become delinquent October 1. Club treasurers should make checks payable to the Kalamazoo Garden Council, Inc. and mail their dues payments to the KGC Treasurer of the Kalamazoo Garden Council, Inc. Please contact the KGC Treasurer with any questions.
Michigan Garden Clubs, Inc. dues of $6.00 per member (which includes National dues of $1) and are payable June 1 and become delinquent September 15. Club treasurers should mail their checks to the MGC Data Processing Manager and make checks payable to Michigan Garden Clubs, Inc. Information from the MGC, Inc. will be forwarded to the club presidents each year for changes and updates.
Annual KGC Directories are given to the club representatives at the September KGC meeting for distribution to their club members. Please verify the information and submit corrections to the KGC Database Manager, Bunny LaDuke at email: email@example.com. Extra directories are available for new club members.
“The Garden Post” is published in June and November with publication deadlines of May 1 and October 1. Information will be sent by email to members periodically as needed. The newsletter will be posted on the website and sent to the KGC membership by email. A limited number of hardcopies will be available at the KGC House for Club Directors to distribute to those members who do not use email.