On 10/24 a group of council members attended a fun demo at Nordlies in Grandville. One of the products being used, Oasis Uglu Dashes, was a big hit with our members. Council has purchased some of this Oasis UGlu Dashes in packs of 50. These are available at the Council Shop for $1.50 each (a great savings off retail price). If you are unfamiliar with the many uses of this product, please see the link below or read about them at the bottom of this email.
How to attach anything with UGLU Floral Adhesive
When an instant hold for flowers, wire, fibers, or crafts is needed, UGLU™ is one of my favorite Smithers-Oasis products. UGLU is a clean and easy way to design, attach or repair materials quickly. It’s amazing the number of ways the non-toxic and biodegradable ‘glue’ can be used.
What is UGLU?
No-mess and easy-to-use UGLU is an industrial-strength floral adhesive that adheres securely to almost anything, yet it can also be easily removed without leaving permanent residue like normal glue.
UGLU goes on like double-sided tape and comes in three-inch strips, half-inch dashes or a 65-foot roll of three-quarter inch strip.
How can UGLU be used with flowers?
· As the base of a boutonniere
· Decorating bouquet handles
· Incorporating flowers on clothing
· Covering boxes with foliage or ribbons
· Adding fresh flowers to the outside of a vase
· Attaching decorative materials to vases, bouquets or other surfaces
How is applied?
With firm pressure! The basics are:
· First remove one side of the white liner and apply the UGLU to a surface.
· Rub your finger over the remaining white liner to ensure solid contact.
· Remove the outer white liner and apply your design.
A three-inch strip of UGLU can hold up to two pounds. However, as with all adhesives, prepping the materials you plan to connect is important for a good, solid bond.
UGLU may not bond well to materials that have surface residues like dust or oils. Uneven surfaces such as brick might also inhibit adhesion as might polished surfaces such as high gloss floors or wood trim.
How can Uglu be used properly?
Take these steps to ensure that UGLU bonds well:
· Surfaces – Be sure all surfaces are free of dust, debris, grease, household cleaner residue and oils. Wipe the area clean before attaching UGLU.
· Skin – Clean with rubbing alcohol to remove any oily residue before applying UGLU.
· Fabric – Be sure the fabric is not made of an oil-based product. If it has a smooth or slick surface, rub the fabric with a rough cloth before attaching UGLU.
Again, like all nearly all adhesives, temperature matters. While UGLU works well in temperatures from 0 to 180 degrees F, for best results apply at temperatures above 50 degrees F.
Colder temperatures can cause UGLU to become brittle. Hotter temperatures can cause UGlu to become more liquid. Either state can cause the bond to lose its strength. If the surface you are adhering it to is too hot, cold, or damp, UGLU may not hold.
Keep these quick tips in mind
· Once you have affixed something to a glass vase with UGlu, do not place it in the cooler. The cold temperature and humidity could loosen the bond.
· Don’t place UGLU’d items, such as outdoor wedding décor, in direct sun.
· Remove UGLU from a surface by pulling it in a horizontal direction.
UGLU is a clean, easy way to design, attach or repair materials quickly including non-floral applications like hems! What interesting ways of using UGLU can you think of?
When OASIS® Floral Products Design Director Sharon McGukin AIFD, AAF, PFCI, was incoming AIFD president, she used a roll of UGlu to cover her gala gown bodice with orchids. UGlu is just one more way Sharon takes the ‘fear out of flowers’ for audiences with her fast and easy tips for ‘celebrating life with flowers’.
Gluing flowers into a corsage, bracelet, ribbon, or other flower form makes fast and easy work of corsages, boutonnieres and other decorative designs for weddings, proms, homecoming or any event.
In addition to being more time efficient than wiring and taping individual flower blooms, using floral adhesive, sometimes referred to as ‘cold glue’, gives you the freedom to create new wire-free designs.